Recently I hit the issue for the DPM backup the VMs. The DPM backing the Hyper-V VMs failed with the following message in the event viewer of the Hyper-V host that the VM is residing.
Then in the command prompt (elevated “run as administrator”) I list the VSS by typing the command Vssadmin list writers.
In the DPM console, had the following :
The steps that I took to resolve the issue is as follow :
- Shutdown the VM
- Perform the VM backup through the DPM
- In the Hyper-V host, launch the Hyper-V Manager and would be able to see the status as “backing up …”
- Once the backup is completed in then I start up the VM.
- Waited for 20 mins for the VM to be up and running, then perform another backup (create another recovery point in DPM)
- It’s successful and case is resolve.
In the Hyper-V Host I run again the command prompt (elevated “run as administrator”) by typing the command Vssadmin list writers and check the status.
Hope it helps.
keywords : VSS, vssadmin, a vss writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3, the writer experienced a transient error, if the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur, last error : retryable error, Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer, DPM encountered a retryable VSS error (ID 30112) , vssadmin list writers