Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hyper-V (Server Core)–How to Reassign Drive Letter

Here I have a situation after installation of Windows Server Core and I don’t have GUI to change the drive letter.  I need to assign a different drive letter for the DVD-ROM.

From the Server Core server, in the command prompt I type :

C:\> diskpart

Next it will display

DISKPART >

Type List Volume

DISKPART > list volume

The listing will be like below

Volume ####
-------------------
Ltr
----
Type
-------
Volume 0 E DVD-ROM
Volume 1 C Partition

<Look for type DVD-CD to find drive letter>

Type the following to change the drive letter, in the example below, I’m changing it to Drive Z for my DVD-ROM

DISKPART > select volume 0
DISKPART > assign letter=z
DISKPART > exit

Hope the steps helps.

Thank you.

1 comment: