Wednesday, December 17, 2014

How to Write into Event Viewer (using PowerShell)

I’m into a situation that I want to write the activity that was carried out into the Event Viewer (say the Application).

I’ve a PowerShell script but has incorporated the following in the beginning and the end of the script.

First I need to register the event into the server’s event viewer.  I call it as “InFront Maintenance”

In the PowerShell, I only execute once to record it down.

New-EventLog –LogName Application –Source “InFront Maintenance

Once it’s registered, then I incorporated the following into my beginning of my script the activity that I need to carry out. 

Note : If you do not register, the next line you execute to write to event viewer, you’ll definitely hit the error.  This is because the “SOURCE” is not registered.

Write-EventLog –LogName Application –Source “InFront Maintenance” –EntryType Information –EventID 1 –Message “Maintenance Spoke A.

So in the event viewer you’ll be able to see something like this

image

At the end of my script I indicate as follow :

Write-EventLog –LogName Application –Source “InFront Maintenance” –EntryType Information –EventID 1 –Message “End Maintenance Spoke A

In the event viewer you’ll see like this :

image

So to summary it :

To register for the first time the event (just once)

  • New-EventLog –LogName Application –Source “InFront Maintenance

Insert beginning on my PowerShell Script

  • Write-EventLog –LogName Application –Source “InFront Maintenance” –EntryType Information –EventID 1 –Message “Maintenance Spoke A.

Insert at the end of my PowerShell Script

  • Write-EventLog –LogName Application –Source “InFront Maintenance” –EntryType Information –EventID 1 –Message “End Maintenance Spoke A

Just change the Pink for your event, and the Yellow for the General Descriptions.

Thanks to the Scripting Guy Site , Ed Wilson!!

keynote : How to write to Event Viewer with powershell, using powershell to write event,event log, application log event viewer, eventviewer with PowerShell, record activity into event viewer

No comments:

Post a Comment